Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Travel on Tuesday to Australia

G'day mates!  Our family's global adventure, Travel on Tuesday, took us to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia where we talked about the blue-ringed octopus, coral reef, and other creatures that live in the Pacific ocean's ecosystem. On the menu were meat pies, carrot and apple slaw, and Anzac biscuits.

Meat pies prior to baking
I encountered one major glitch in my preparation and that is that I did not realize I would not find Vegemite (an Aussie favorite) and Golden Syrup (required for Anzac Biscuits) at Fresh Farms - the International food store that seems to have everything.  So I improvised.  A combination of Karo syrup and molasses to replace the Golden Syrup and a picture of Vegemite spread on toast.  Instead of making one 9 inch meat pie, I decided on individual meat pies shaped in a cupcake tin.  In the end, our adventure to the Land Down Under was less about flavors, and more about tradition. 

On a side note, the manager at Fresh Farms said he would speak with his products manager and see if he could order the Vegemite for me.  He seemed pretty sincere in his interest on why I would want to try it.  It is a favorite spread among people that live on the other side of the planet.  My curiosity is killing me!  If you haven't had Vegemite, wouldn't you want to try it?

Recipe Suggestions:
Meat pies:
  http://bradfordschmidt.com/recipes/australian-meat-pie-recipe/
Anzac Biscuits: http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/anzac-biscuits-recipe.html
Carrot and Apple Slaw
: http://greenfieldnutrition.blogspot.com/2012/01/carrot-and-apple-salad-with-caraway.html 

Become and fan of our Global Adventures for Children!  Like us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment