Thursday, April 19, 2012

Travel on Tuesday to Egypt

This week's Travel on Tuesday to Egypt is a lesson in perseverance.  We had a rough week and preparations for the day were not falling into place like a well-oiled machine.  Actually, they were hardly falling into place like any kind of machine.

I was preoccupied.

I hosted a party at my house for 40+ people on Sunday, then the middle-schooler and the Diva were sick and missed school on Monday.  Let's just say it was a perfect excuse to not have to do Travel on Tuesday to Egypt.

However, on Tuesday Little A walked up to the map in the kitchen and asked "Mom, wez Afika?" And that was when Mommy Guilt struck.

During my lunch break, I ran over to the international foods store.  It took 6 employees to tell me where the Molokhia was located.  While we were all standing in the frozen foods section one of them asks me what I was going to make with it.

So I started to describe MidEats recipe for Molokhia.  They asked if I was Egyptian.  I'm not.  They asked if I was Middle Eastern.  I'm not.  Then they asked how I decided to make this recipe.

So there I found myself, in the middle of the frozen section of Fresh Farms surrounded by 6 employees as I was talking about Travel on Tuesday and all the new foods and cultures we discover by never even leaving our house.

That evening, I ended up modifying the recipe because I didn't have time to make my own chicken stock and just bought a rotisserie chicken instead of roasting the bird used to make the stock.  Sometimes you just have to improvise!

I have to admit that I kind of patted myself on the back for what I felt was pulling off the impossible, but it really wasn't a big deal at all.  The molokhia cooked up in less than 20 minutes, and the rotisserie was of course, ready-to-eat.

But truth be told...  The kids did not like the Molokhia soup.  So they feasted on chicken, brown rice and cucumbers.  I thought it was delicious, and very different from anything I have ever tried.

As far as the craft: Two boxes of sugar cubes, glue, 3 kids and 30 minutes later, the Pyramids of Giza stood before us during dinner.  


Check out more pictures of Travel on Tuesday to Egypt on Facebook!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment