Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I won! I won!

I remember when I was a little girl and I beat my older brother at checkers for the first time.  He was so frustrated to have lost to his little sister that he punched me in the eye and I fell backwards and hit my head on the brass lion’s claw that was on the foot of the dining room table.  I pulled myself up covered my eye with one hand and pointed at him with the other and chanted “I won!  I won!”  It was one of my first memories of pride, determination and triumph. 

Fast forward to today.  After more than 800 images, 200 music clips, and nearly 8 months of planning and development, the Wander our World app was finally released in January 2012.  The child-narrated iPad/Android tablet app includes real world photos and music from different countries. The app currently enjoys a 5-star review on iTunes and has been downloaded by families in more than 28 countries including the U.S., Norway, South Africa, Indonesia, Lebanon, Brazil, and New Zealand.

Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to enter Wander our World into the mobile app competition through the Parents’ Choice Foundation. 

"The Parents’ Choice Awards committees look for products that entertain and teach with flair, stimulate imagination and inspire creativity. Judges are interested in how a product helps a child grow: socially, intellectually, emotionally, ethically, physically. Products must be free of bias. Above all, products must not extol violence.  Adhering to rigorous standards, Parents’ Choice honors material that respects a child’s age, interests and abilities, and adheres to universal human values.” -www.parents-choice.org

I am excited to report that the Wander our World app won a coveted Parents’ Choice Foundation Spring 2012 Mobile App Award!  When I first heard the news I was jumping up and down shouting “I won! I won!”   Before long however, I was (and still am) completely humbled and honored to have received this award.  It was my determination to make global awareness and geography education attainable for little kids that made this geography app possible, and that determination is what continues to drive the mission of Footprints of the Mind.  For more information visit www.wanderourworld.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment